Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Happy Birthday, Debra Paget!

Beautiful Debra Paget turns 81 today. She was born in Denver on August 19, 1933.

Paget was part of an acting family which included older sister Teala Loring (WIFE WANTED, ALLOTMENT WIVES), who died in 2007, and younger sister Lisa Gaye (DRUMS ACROSS THE RIVER). Older brother Frank Griffin was an actor who became a makeup artist.

Debra Paget retired from acting over half a century ago and at last report is retired in Texas.

Here's a Debra Paget photo gallery for her many fans to enjoy:


With Richard Conte in HOUSE OF STRANGERS:


BIRD OF PARADISE:


BROKEN ARROW:



PRINCESS OF THE NILE:






Reviews of Debra Paget films at Laura's Miscellaneous Musings: CRY OF THE CITY (1948), IT HAPPENS EVERY SPRING (1949), HOUSE OF STRANGERS (1949), MOTHER IS A FRESHMAN (1949), FOURTEEN HOURS (1951), BELLES ON THEIR TOES (1952), THE GAMBLER FROM NATCHEZ (1954), PRINCESS OF THE NILE (1954), and THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956).

Among the additional key titles in Paget's career: BROKEN ARROW (1950), BIRD OF PARADISE (1951), LES MISERABLES (1952), PRINCE VALIANT (1954), THE LAST HUNT (1956), LOVE ME TENDER (1956), and THE RIVER'S EDGE (1957).

2015 Update: I've now reviewed SEVEN ANGRY MEN (1955).

July 2016 Update: An obituary tribute to Debra Paget's sister, Lisa Gaye.

2017 Update: Here's a review of a beautiful new Blu-ray release of BROKEN ARROW (1950).

2018 Update: I've now reviewed THE LAST HUNT (1956).

7 Comments:

Blogger Blake Lucas said...

And we should never forget what may well be the high point (for those who have seen it), the Indian diptych THE TIGER OF ESCHNAPUR and THE INDIAN TOMB (1959), directed by the great Fritz Lang. Debra Paget does a dance in each of these and well--now words fail me. And this is a family blog!

Okay, seriously, these films are one of the all-time high points of matinee exotic adventure--they kind of ARE cinema in their way. On DVD and well worth seeking out.

She was in so many wonderful movies. Always an asset. A great career.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Blake, I must see those! I think you recommended them in the past but I neglected to add them to my "search list." Doing that today.

She's simply wonderful, and I love your description of those films. Her PRINCESS OF THE NILE was a high point for me in 2013, and I look forward to seeing these too.

Truly a wonderful career!

Best wishes,
Laura

3:36 PM  
Blogger Kevin Deany said...

As a long time Debra Paget fan, this could be the greatest post ever. Thanks a million, Laura. She is also the last surviving major cast member of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Kevin, as a Debra Paget fan your note delighted me! So glad you enjoyed this post. That's a great point, since Nina Foch died Debra is the last one left from 10 COMMANDMENTS.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not seen her movies, but I do remember the actress. Stunning!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Everett said...

I really enjoyed looking at your photos of Debra Paget. I have not seen many of her movies, but I've seen the Ten Commandments. She's beautiful and she's a wonderful performer. I also adore her sister Lisa Gaye. I've seen her in a few TV series from the 60's where she appeared as a guest. She's wonderful, too. Debra Paget comes from a marvelous family.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm delighted you enjoyed these photos, Mohan and Everett!

Debra truly is stunning, and her sisters were lovely as well.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older